On March 22, 2021, the Indian government declared that Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman had been awarded the Gandhi Peace Prize for the year 2020. (Father of Nation in Bangladesh.) Qaboos bin Said Al Said has been awarded the Gandhi Peace Prize for 2019. (Late Sultan of Oman.)
What is the Gandhi Peace Prize, and how does it work?
- The jury is selected for a three-year term.
- Permanent members of the jury are ex-officio members (PM, CJI), while eminent members resign. A reappointment is an option.
- PM is the jury's chairman.
Free Demo Classes
Register here for Free Demo ClassesPlease fill the namePlease enter only 10 digit mobile numberPlease select coursePlease fill the emailSomething went wrong!Download App & Start Learning
Source: Amar ujalaIn his absence, the presiding officer is chosen by the remaining members of the jury.
- A judgment must be reached by a majority of the jury. Furthermore, no objections to the jury's decisions are permitted.
Who has the authority to suggest the Gandhi Peace Prize?
- Jury former members
- Ex-Awardees of Gandhi Peace Prize
- Members of Indian Parliament
- Nobel Laureates for the last five years
- United Nations (UN) Secretary-General along with other leaders of international organizations. The purpose of such proposals is to promote peace, non-violence, the emancipation of less-privileged sections of society, tolerance, social harmony, and social justice.
- Universities Chancellors and Vice-Chancellors
- Heads of Indian Missions Abroad
- Heads of Institutions that are into studies and research in non-violence, and Gandhian principles.
- Lok Sabha/Legislative Assemblies & Councils presiding officers.
- Chief Ministers of states and UTs with administration, and Governors.
- Commonwealth Secretary-General
- Commonwealth Parliamentary Union