PM Modi Awarded CERAWeek Global Energy and Environment Leadership Award
- CERAWEEK- Cambridge Energy Research Associates Week 2021(CERAWeek) was founded in 1983 by Dr. Daniel Yergin. It has been organized in Houston in March every year since 1983 and is considered the world’s premier annual energy platform. CERAWeek 2021 is being convened virtually from 1st March to 5th March, 2021.
- CERAWeek Global Energy and Environment Leadership Award- It was instituted in 2016. It recognizes the commitment of leadership on the future of global energy & environment and for offering solutions and policies for energy access, affordability & environmental stewardship.
- National Hydrogen Mission-Finance minister in her budget speech had proposed to launch a National Hydrogen Mission for generating hydrogen from green power sources. The proposed Mission would aim to lay down Government of India’s vision, intent and direction for hydrogen energy and suggest strategy and approaches for realising the vision.
- Hydrogen- Hydrogen, the most abundant element in the universe and the third most abundant on the surface of the globe. Hydrogen has three isotopes: protium, deuterium or D and tritium or T.
- PM KUSUM- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (PM KUSUM) Scheme has been launched by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) for farmers for installation of solar pumps and grid connected solar and other renewable power plants in the country.
India - Sweden Virtual Summit Held
- ISA- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) was conceived as a coalition of solar-resource-rich countries (which lie either completely or partly between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn) to address their special energy needs. The ISA has 122 sun-belt countries that lie between the two tropics as its prospective member countries and currently boasts a membership of 86 countries globally.
- ISA Headquarters- Gurugram, India
DRDO successful tests Solid Fuel Ducted Ramjet technology
- DRDO- DRDO is the R&D wing of Ministry of Defence, Govt of India, with a vision to empower India with cutting-edge defence technologies and a mission to achieve self-reliance in critical defence technologies and systems, while equipping our armed forces with state-of-the-art weapon systems and equipment in accordance with requirements laid down by the three Services. DRDO was formed in 1958 from the amalgamation of the then already functioning Technical Development Establishment (TDEs) of the Indian Army and the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP) with the Defence Science Organisation (DSO).
Virtual Edition of the New Delhi World Book Fair 2021 inaugurated by the Union Education Minister
Supreme Court to start hybrid physical hearing of cases from March 15
- Supreme Court- Article 124 of the Indian Constitution mentions the Establishment and constitution of Supreme Court of India. It is the supreme judicial body and the highest court of order in India. The Supreme Court of India comprises the Chief Justice and a maximum of 33 other Judges appointed by the President of India. Supreme Court Judges retire upon attaining the age of 65 years.
- In order to be appointed as a Judge of the Supreme Court, a person must be a citizen of India and must have been, for atleast five years, a Judge of a High Court or of two or more such Courts in succession, or an Advocate of a High Court or of two or more such Courts in succession for at least 10 years or he must be, in the opinion of the President, a distinguished jurist. Provisions exist for the appointment of a Judge of a High Court as an Ad-hoc Judge of the Supreme Court and for retired Judges of the Supreme Court or High Courts to sit and act as Judges of that Court.The Constitution seeks to ensure the independence of Supreme Court Judges in various ways. A Judge of the Supreme Court cannot be removed from office except by an order of the President passed after an address in each House of Parliament supported by a majority of the total membership of that House and by a majority of not less than two-thirds of members present and voting, and presented to the President in the same Session for such removal on the ground of proved misbehaviour or incapacity. A person who has been a Judge of the Supreme Court is debarred from practising in any court of law or before any other authority in India.
- The proceedings of the Supreme Court are conducted in English only. Supreme Court Rules, 1966 are framed under Article 145 of the Constitution to regulate the practice and procedure of the Supreme Court.
UNEP Food Waste Index Report 2021
As per the report- the household food waste estimate in the US is 59 kg per capita per year, or 19,359,951 tonnes a year, while for China these estimates are 64 kg per capita per year or 91,646,213 tonnes a year. In India, the household food waste estimate is 50 kg per capita per year, or 68,760,163 tonnes a year.
The Simlipal Biosphere Reserve Forest Fire
- Similipal Bio-sphere, which derives its name from ‘Simul’ (silk cotton) tree covers a vast area of 2750 sq. km out of which 303 sq. km form the core area, this biosphere reserve is a sanctuary and one of the Tiger Projects and National parks in the northern part of Odisha’s Mayurbhanj district. It is also the Asia’s 2nd largest Biosphere. UNESCO had added the National Park to its list of Biosphere Reserves back in 2009.