Current Affairs Ebook Free PDF: Download Here
Attempt Free Mock Tests- Click Here
Table of content
- India's longest highway
- Top ten national highways in India by length
- Facts about the longest Highway
Free Demo Classes
Register here for Free Demo Classes
India sets a Guinness World Record : Laying 75 km of NH-53 lane in 105 hours
|S. No||National Highway||Distance (in km)||Route|
|1||NH 44 (old NH 7)||3,745||Srinagar to Kanyakumari|
|2||NH 27||3,507||Porbandar in Gujarat to Silchar in Assam|
|3||NH 48 (old NH 8)||2,807||Delhi to Chennai|
|4||NH 52||2,317||Sangrur, Punjab to Ankola, Karnataka|
|5||NH 30 (Old NH 221)||2,040||Sitarganj in Uttarakhand to Ibrahimpatnam in Andhra Pradesh.|
|6||NH 6||1,873||Jorabat in Meghalaya and terminates at Selling in Mizoram|
|7||NH 53||1,781||Hajira in Gujarat and Pradip port in Odisha.|
|8||NH 16 (Old NH 5)||1,711||East coast of West Bengal to Chennai in Tamil Nadu.|
|9||NH 66 (Old NH 17)||1,622||Panvel and terminates at Kanyakumari|
|10||NH 19 (Old NH 20)||1,435||Delhi to Kolkata|
|11||NH 34||1,426||Gangotri Dham in Uttarakhand to Lakhnadon in Madhya Pradesh|
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways is the owner of the network of trunk roads that make up India's national highways.
- India's road system is the second-largest in the world.
- There are almost 200 national highways, totaling 101,011 kilometers in length. India has 1,31,899 km of state highways in its entirety.
- The main highway has a two-digit number, and all of the three-digit highways are actually branches of the main highway.
- For instance, the highway number 144 is a subsidiary branch of highway number 44. These are further divided into subgroups and given names with an alphabetic suffix, such as 144A, 244A, etc.
- Only 1.8% of all Indian roadways are used by the national highways. Nevertheless, they manage 40% of the nation's traffic on roads.
- National Highway System Colors: *National highways are designated by the colours yellow and white. *White and green for public highways Black and white is only used on city highways.
- The two shortest national highways in India are NH 118 and NH 548. In the state of Jharkhand, NH 118 runs just over 5 kilometres between the cities of Asanbani and Jamshedpur. About 5 kilometres of the NH 548 run through the Maharashtra state.
- The Leh-Manali Highway, which connects Shimla in Himachal Pradesh to Leh in Jammu and Kashmir, is the second-highest motorway in the world.