India's Blue Flag Beaches – 2021
In October 2020, the prestigious certification was conferred on eight beaches in India, namely:
- Golden Beach – Odisha
- Shivrajpur Beach – Gujarat
- Kappad Beach – Kerala
- Ghoghla Beach – Diu
- Radhanagar Beach – Andaman and Nicobar
- Kasarkod Beach – Karnataka
- Padubidri Beach – Karanataka
- Rushikonda Beach – Andhra Pradesh
- The Foundation for Environmental Education, a non-profit agency grants the Blue Flag Certification (FEE).
- Several strict standards or conditions must be met to receive the Blue Flag certificate.
- The requirements are concerned with the environment, education, accessibility, and protection. There are 33 standards in all.
- Beaches, marinas (small ports or harbors built for pleasure yachts or boats), and sustainable boat tour operators in FEE member countries receive the qualification.
- The Blue Flag is an eco-label, and blue flag beaches should have safe, sanitary bathing water as well as simple tourist facilities.
- The blue flag logo may be displayed by operators of beaches or boating tourism who have been awarded the blue flag.
- Only local governments or private operators from member countries are eligible for this prize.
- Inequality, disparity, unemployment, loss of natural resources, health and environmental risks, pollution, and general environmental degradation are all issues that Blue Flag campaigns against.
- The Blue Flag Program was established in 1985 in France. In 1987, it was presented to the FEE. The European Blue Flag was developed as a result of this.
- The project was renamed International Blue Flag after South Africa became the first country outside of Europe to join the program in 2001.
- The FEE took on its new name at this time, dropping the ‘E' from its previous name, which had been European.
- There are over 4000 blue flag beaches worldwide, with Spain leading the way in terms of the number of beaches with this classification.
Blue Flag Mission
The following is a summary of the Blue Flag Program's mission:
- Promoting and taking part in environmental education programs for marina, resort, and boating operators' patrons.
- Putting in place effective protection and environmental management programs.
- To encourage sustainable tourism sustainability, we are committed to collective action and collaborations.
- Monitoring environmental conditions at marinas, beaches, and boating operators to reduce the effects of human activities.
- The Foundation for Environmental Education is a non-profit organization dedicated to environmental education (FEE)
About the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE)
- The headquarters of the Charge is in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- It began in 1981 as the Foundation for Environmental Education in Europe (FEEE).
- It currently has 77 countries as members.
- Its other programs include:
- Green Key
- Young Reporters for the Environment
- Learning about Forests
- Global Forest Fund
Source: Amar ujala