India has more than 1111 medical institutes today that offer medical courses at under-graduate, post-graduate and doctorate level. Every year lakhs of NEET aspirants apply for these colleges based on their ranks in the NEET exam, their placements and other factors.
Some of these are government institutes and some private ones. Their fee structure, the courses they offer, their alumni base, faculty, etc make each of these colleges unique in its own way. But how to decide which ones are the best?
Today’s blog will throw some light on the TOP 20 medical colleges in the country.
1. AIIMS Delhi:
- All-India Institute of Medical Sciences was established in 1959 as an institution of national importance by an Act of Parliament to demonstrate a high standard of Medical Education in India.
- There are 7 AIIMS in India altogether but AIIMS Delhi tops the charts by being the most prestigious medical institute in the country. It holds 1st rank in the National Institutional Ranking Framework’s 2019 rankings.
- AIIMS Delhi offers a vast number of courses for medical aspirants such as MBBS, B.Sc. Nursing, B.Sc. Medical Technology in Radiography, Bachelor of Optometry, B.Sc. Nursing (Post Basic), NS/MD/MDS, M.Sc. (Nursing), M.Sc., Master of Biotechnology, MHA, M.Ch., DM, Ph.D and much more.
- The best part is that the fee is very nominal and you get to work with the top doctors in the country. What else would a NEET aspirant want?
- Royal Hospital Gloucester (U.K.), Delhi State Cancer Institute, etc are some of the regular recruiters at AIIMS Delhi.
3. Christian Medical College:
- Established in 1962 in Chandigarh, PGIMER is one of the most renowned medical institutes. It offers variety of courses like B.Sc., MD, MS, MDS, DM, M.Ch, MHA, MPH, M.Sc., Fellowship PGI, Post-Doctoral Fellowship PGI and Ph.D.
- PGIMER entrance exam is the way through which you can get admittance to various courses in this autonomous institute.
4. Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences:
- Christian Medical College affiliated to Dr. MGR Medical University was established in vellore in 1918. It Offers courses like DM, M.Tech, M.Phil, MPH, MHA, M.Sc.,MBBS, B.Sc. (Nursing), BPT, etc.
- If you are looking forward to get admission in CMC then you need to score really good in your NEET exam.
5. Maulana Azad Medical College:
- It is a private medical institute based in Lucknow that offers medical aspirants with courses like B.Sc., BPT, MD, MHA, M.Sc., DM, M.Ch, Post-Doctoral Certificate and many more.
- The fee for various courses here is very less and you can get admission in SGPIMS through NEET exam.
6. Lady Hardinge Medical College:
- Spread over 122 acres of land and connected to 4 full fledged hospitals, Maulana Azad Medical College offers opportunity to nearly 290 under graduates and 245 postgraduate students to study their field of interest like radiology, etc
7. Grant Medical college:
- This is an all girl’s government college established in 1916 that offers around 200 seats for its MBBS course.
8. Banaras Hindu University:
- Based in Mumbai, this is one of the oldest medical schools of the country established around 1885. It has a staff strength of nearly 284. GMC has 200 seats for MBBS aspirants and an extra 99+ seats for other medical courses.
9. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham:
- IMS-BHU is a residential medical college that has a limited number of seats i.e 71 for MBBS and 42 for BDS. Apart from these two courses it also offers courses in PG, PG diploma and PHD.
10. Kasturba Medical College:
- Established in 2003 in Coimbatore, it is deemed to be a university. National Eligibility cum Entrance Test is your only gateway to enter this institution to pursue courses like MD/MS, DM, etc. However, admission for PG Diploma is provided on the basis of the entrance test conducted by the university.
11. Jawaharlal Institute of PostGraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER):
- Situated in Manipal, Karnataka it offers courses on MBBS,MD,MDS.M.Ch.,M.Phil etc. Although admission to MBBS and MD/MS is done on the basis of NEET exam but for M.Phil and Ph.D., candidates need to appear for a written test and interview conducted by Kasturba Medical College.
12. Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences:
- JIPMER was established in 1964 as an autonomous university in Puducherry. Spread over a campus of 195 acres), it has over 300 faculty members. Annually, it admits 150 and 200 students for undergraduate and postgraduate courses respectively.
13. King George’s Medical University:
- ILBS was established as a deemed university in the year 2009 in Delhi. Apart from PDCC, PGCC, Ph.D., DNB, M. Ch it also offers 6 months Certification courses in Nephrology and Critical Care. Admissions for every course are done on the basis of marks scored in NEET exam except for the PHD programme where the selection process is done on the basis of 2 stages i.e. written test along with an interview with the faculty.
14. Shri Rama chandra Institute of Higher Education and Research:
- Founded in 1905 in Lucknow, this government medical college covers an area of about 1000,000 sq. kms. It has 250 seats for MBBS and 100 seats for BDS students. You need to pass the NEET exam with good marks if you are looking forward to doing MBBS/BDS/MD/MS etc from KGMU.
15. St. John’s Medical College:
- This chennai based college stands at 14th position in the country based on their fee structure, faculty, level of education and placement. It was established back in 1985 and the most popular courses in this university include M.sc and B.Sc. It is a private not-for-profit self-financing institution.
16. Aligarh Muslim University:
- Situated in Bangalore, it is a public institute affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
- Admissions to MBBS course are done on the basis of NEET followed by Karnataka Examination Board counselling. However, for those students who did not appear in NEET, they can give the institute’s own entrance exam to get admission to various courses.
17. Jamia Hamdard University:
- This is one of the best government medical colleges in India. It has the best faculty and amenities. Once here, you will gain excellent knowledge along with rigorous training.
- It offers various medicine courses like MBBS, MD, MS, M.Ch., BDS, MDS, PG Diploma, Ph.D.
18. JSS Medical College:
- Established in 1989 it is a deemed university in Delhi.The institute conducts research in cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. JHU offers MBBS, MD, M.Sc., MPH, Ph.D. courses to medical aspirants.
19. Christian Medical College:
- It is a private college affiliated to JSS University in Mysore. JSS Medical College offers courses in MBBS, MD, MS, PG Diploma, M.Sc., B.Sc., MPH, M.Phil, Ph.D , etc.
20. Vardhman Mahavir Medical College & Safdarjung Hospital:
- This Ludhiana based college was established in 1894. Affiliated to Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, this college offers courses on MBBS, BDS, MDS, MD, MS, PG Diploma, B.Sc., BPT and M.Sc.
- Admission to MBBS and BDS is done on the basis of NEET score.
- Affiliated to Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University this Delhi based college was established in 2001. It offers a variety of courses but the most famous ones include MBBS, MD, MS, M.Ch. and B.Sc. (Hons).
- In order to get admission here, you either need to appear for Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test or National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test.
Apart from these 20 Top medical institutes there are a couple of more medical colleges that can help you fulfil your dream of being a good doctor.
Remember, if you want to be a world class doctor you need to train under the best faculty and require a good amount of experience. Hence, you need to be very careful when you choose your college!
Start preparing today for NEET with www.Safalta.com
. Join https://bit.ly/2EuiLcI
, a 2 year integrated program offered by Safalta.com! This course will offer you 850+ hours of LIVE study along with recorded lectures and much more.
Join today to avail exciting offers!