June 3rd is known as World Bicycle Day
Cycling as we know it is healthy, low -impact exercise that benefits people across all ages .It has been estimated that around one billion people around the world ride bicycles everyday be it either for transport, recreation or for sport .
Of course the figures are less when it is compared with the tremendous health benefits it renders .With global climate change and huge carbon emissions leading to pollution it would be fairly wise if people could undertake cycling at a large scale for their day to day transportation .It would lead to reduction of transport emissions relatively quickly, and potentially globally.This would mean less cluttered streets , more health benefits and of course a better environment for years to come .
For over 2 centuries cycling has been a cost efficient mode of transportation to the world . The United Nations’ general assembly decided to constitute 3rd June as World Bicycle Day to highlight the longevity and versatility of the bicycle .
As the world celebrates today we have listed below some benefits of cycling as an activity that might influence you to switch to cycling:
Some of the major benefits of Cycling are :
1. A survey by Cycleplan, which examined the health benefits people experienced after taking up cycling, found 75% of cyclists noticed an improvement in their mental health since getting on the saddle, with 8% even saying it helped with their depression or anxiety.(BikeBiz)
2. Unlike other activities cycling doesn't require you to have a lot of physical skills /effort .Once you learn it you're all great to go .
3. If you're someone who's up for adventure -cycling is best for you . The wonders and buzz you get from a good ride down your favourite lane or a sloping hill will get your endorphins high and leave you wanting for more . You'll start spending more time outside with your bike rather than being slogged with your phone / laptop in a corner of your room .
4. It'll increase your muscle strength and flexibility and also cardiovascular fitness .Strengthened bones,improved joint mobility,posture and coordination are among its other health benefits .
5. For the poorest urban sector, who often cannot afford private vehicles, walking and cycling can provide a form of transport while reducing the risk of heart disease, stroke, certain cancers, diabetes, and even death.
Source: lifegate.comAccordingly, improved active transport is not only healthy; it is also equitable and cost-effective.(UN.org)
6.The bicycle contributes to cleaner air and less congestion and makes education, health care and other social services more accessible to the most vulnerable populations. (UN.org)
Some famous quotes about cycling by famous personalities:
2.Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than any one thing in the world. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence.-Susan B. Anthony,American feminist
3.Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it if you live. — Mark Twain
4.It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. — Ernest Hemingway
5.The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind.— William Saroyan,Armenian-American novelist
We hope this post will inspire you to grab you cycle and sweat it out . Happy Riding !!