- Content marketing has a long history that dates back to the 1700s. The history and development of this marketing strategy are further explained in the following sections.
- Benjamin Franklin publishes Poor Richard's Almanack in 1732 to help his printing company.
- 1801 - The bookshop Librairie Galignani uses innovative content marketing techniques to grow its clientele. It established a library and published a newspaper with articles from books and authors.
- Launch of Samuel Wagner's publication American Bee Journal in 1861.
Free Demo Classes
Register here for Free Demo ClassesPlease fill the namePlease enter only 10 digit mobile numberPlease select coursePlease fill the email
- Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection publishes The Locomotive in 1867. It is the oldest business publication still published in the US.
- The Edison Electric Illumination Company Bulletin, published in 1882, announces the advantages of electric lighting.
- In order to increase sales of Scribner's books, the publication Scribner's Magazine, which offers a peep into the lives of some of the most well-known authors, is first published in 1887.
- 1888 saw the publication of Modern Methods of Antiseptic Wound Treatment by Johnson & Johnson. It listed the specifications for doctors to whom the business sold bandages. Additionally, they started two journals with beneficial content for the medical industry.
- The Furrow is published by John Deere in 1895. It continues to be published today and has a 1.5 million-copy circulation in more than 40 nations.
- In order to increase sales, Jell-O distributed its free Jell-O Recipe Book in 1904.
- Production of radio programming starts in 1930.
- Weight Watchers Magazine, the first consumer publication to be sold in supermarkets, debuts in 1968.
- Lego's Brick Kicks magazine debuted in 1987.
- Penton Custom Media coined the phrase "content marketing" in 2001.
- Mark Zuckerberg launches Facebook in 2004, ushering in the era of social media.
- Will it Blend, Blendtec's first video series, debut on YouTube in 2006?
- Apple releases the iPhone in 2007, enabling the general public to share and produce content.
- Launch of the content website BeingGirl.com for teenage girls in 2008. It shows to be more successful than comparable-priced traditional media advertising.
- L'Oreal relaunches makeup.com in 2011 as a platform for online content.
- In 2012, Joe Chernov receives the title of Content Marketer of the Year for the first time. The first digital magazine, Intel IQ, was also released. Kraft's marketing division focuses on content, which boosts marketing ROI by four times.
- Red Bull Media House releases 20 short films in 2013.
- The LEGO Movie, the first full-length movie from a major company, premieres in 2014.
- 2015 saw the release of the content marketing documentary The Story of Content: Rise of the New Marketing.
- Arrow Electronics purchases the electronics media portfolio from UBM in 2016. It made history by being the first Fortune 500 business to buy several media companies.
- 2020: Every day, millions of content versions are published that were created by brands in a variety of formats. Despite its antiquity, content marketing's function never appears to change. Instead, over time, its impact has grown dramatically.
YOU MAY LIKE TO READ MORE:
What is a Content Calendar and How to Build One?
How to Use SEO for Content Marketing? [Ultimate Guide]
Opportunities for a Career for B Com Freshers