A report writing is a short written non-fictitious document providing wholesome information on a particular event, topic, or situation. It is a concise and precise document. The basic aim of the report is to provide all information the reader wants to know. Reports are of different types such as news/magazine reports, business reports, and technical reports. News reports and magazine reports are most commonly seen in the newspaper and magazines respectively. Business Reports include sales reports, marketing reports, and feasibility reports. Technical Reports, also known as scientific reports or research reports are the process, progress, and results of any research paper or scientific findings. In this article, we will be discussing news report writing specifically. Click here to buy a course on Digital Marketing- Digital Marketing Specialization Course.
Table of contents:
- What is News Report writing?
- Format of News Report writing.
- The Inverted Pyramid Rule
- Understanding the 5Ws and 1H
- Sample of a news report
A news report is a fact-based story, on a particular event or incident happening/happened.
Free Demo Classes
Register here for Free Demo Classes
Download these FREE Ebooks:
1 Introduction to Digital Marketing
2 Website Planning and Creation
The format of News Report writing includes:
This basic and standard structure of a news report must be followed in order to write a good news report.
- Headline: It is the title of the report. The title should not be too long.
- Byline: It involves the name of the author.
- Lead: Lead includes the most important points of the report.
- Body: In the body, more detailed information is given about the Lead.
- Conclusion: The conclusion is the ending paragraph of the report.
News report writing follows an Invert pyramid rule as mentioned in the format section that the most important information is written fast in the Lead section then the body covers less information than the lead and at the last, the conclusion includes the least information. This is called the inverted pyramid writing style. This gives the reader the most important information first.
The 5Ws are, What, Where, When, Who, why, and How.
- What involves the event/incident?
- When involves the date & time
- Where involves the places & venue
- Why involves the reason for the event
- Who is mentioned, to tell about the people involved?
- How was the event?
In order to stand out in your report, make sure the report answers all 5Ws and 1H. Collect all the facts and figures about the event/incident to ensure you look complete and worth reading.
Source: safaltaHere is a sample of a news report for readers' better understanding: Thus, News report writing isn’t difficult if the person has an interest in it. With a good understanding of format and structure and good practice, one can definitely excel in news report writing.