Agriculture is India's most important source of income. It also makes a substantial contribution to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) (GDP). Here is a “List of Major Crops and Producing States in India” that can come in handy for competitive exams such as UPSC Prelims, SSC, State Services, NDA, CDS, and Railways, among others.
Agriculture is India's most important source of income. It also makes a substantial contribution to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) (GDP).
Here is a “List of Major Crops and Producing States in India” that can come in handy for competitive exams such as UPSC Prelims, SSC, State Services, NDA, CDS, and Railways, among others. If you are preparing for competitive exams and are looking for expert guidance, you can check out our daily FREE Current Affairs.
Major Crops and the Producing States in IndiaThe list of major crops and their producing states in India is as follows:
|Wheat||Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, and Haryana|
|Rice||West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, and Tamil Nadu|
|Gram||Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu|
|Barley||Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, and Rajasthan|
|Bajra||Maharashtra, Gujarat, and Rajasthan|
|Cash Crops||Sugarcane||Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra|
|Poppy||Uttar Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh|
|Coconut||Kerala and Tamil Nadu|
|Linseed||Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh|
|Groundnut||Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, and Tamil Nadu|
|Rape & Mustard||Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh|
|Sesame||Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan|
|Sunflower||Maharashtra and Karnataka|
|Cotton||Maharashtra and Gujarat|
|Jute||West Bengal and Bihar|
|Silk||Karnataka and Kerala|
|Hemp||Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh|
|Coffee||Karnataka and Kerala|
|Rubber||Kerala and Karnataka|
|Tea||Assam and Kerala|
|Tobacco||Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Madhya Pradesh|
|Pepper||Kerala, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu|
|Cashew Nuts||Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Andhra Pradesh|
|Ginger||Kerala and Uttar Pradesh|
|Turmeric||Andhra Pradesh & Odisha|
All about Wheat Crop
Wheat is farmed primarily in India's northern provinces, with Uttar Pradesh leading the way with a total production of 25.22 million tonnes, followed by Punjab (15.78 MT), and Madhya Pradesh (15.78 MT) (14.18 MT).
Source: Amar UjalaIt's noteworthy to note that, despite being India's top wheat producer and having the most wheat-growing land (9.85 million hectares), Uttar Pradesh's productivity (2561 kg/hectare) is still lower than the national average. However, Punjab outperforms all other states in terms of productivity, with 4491 kg/hectare!
Wheat crops are typically planted from September to December in various Indian states, depending on the environment, and harvested from February to May, again depending on the climate and the time of seeding. The ideal temperature for sowing is a winter temperature of 10°C-15°C and a summer temperature of 21°C-26°C.
Free Demo Classes
Register here for Free Demo Classes
All about Cash Crops in India
- The cotton plant is thought to have originated in India.
- It's also one of the country's most important industrial crops.
- Cotton grows well in the drier areas of the black cotton soil of the Deccan plateau. It grows well in alluvial and red soils.
- For its growth, it requires a high temperature (20-35°C), light rainfall (50 to 80cm) or irrigation, 210 frost-free days, and bright sunlight. During the picking season, a clear sky is essential.
- It's a Kharif crop that takes 6-8 months to fully develop.
Example of Fibre CropJute is a long, silky, and lustrous vegetable fiber.
Jute fibers have long been a part of West Bengal's and some parts of Bangladesh's culture. The major constituents are cellulose and lignin.
Learn English - Free Class
- English is an important section of SSC, Banking, Railways & Defence exams, and aspirants who are preparing for the upcoming exams in 2021 must be well prepared with this section
- It includes the subject of English (Tuesday: Idiom and Phrases | Thursday: New Paper Analysis | Saturday: Previous Year Paper Discussion)
- Alternate Days Recorded Sessions
- Course subscription for Life Time
- Downloadable PDF study material to boost your preparation
- Recorded Backup available for quick Revision