CBSE Class 12 English Syllabus 2023-24: CBSE class 12 board exams are about to start in a few months.
All the students who are going to appear for the exams should prepare rigorously following the right strategy.
English is a very important subject in CBSE Class 12. here are three sections in CBSE Class 12 English syllabus- the Reading section, the Writing section, and the Literature section.
There are various chapters such as The Last Lesson (Alphonse Daudet), Lost Spring (Anees Jung), Deep Water (William Douglas), The Rattrap (Selma Lagerlof), etc which form the syllabus for the exam.
Students who are in class 12 should know the complete syllabus of the exam. Register here for Free Demo Classes Source: safalta.com
Join Safalta School Online and prepare for Board Exams under the guidance of our expert faculty.
Free Demo Classes
Register here for Free Demo Classes
Source: safalta.comOur online school aims to help students prepare for Board Exams by ensuring that students have conceptual clarity in all the subjects and are able to score their maximum in the exams.
Table of Content
|CBSE Class 12th English Syllabus|
|CBSE Class 12th English Syllabus: PDF Download|
Access FREE E-BOOKS at SAFALTA. These books are not just free of cost, but they are also packed with ample knowledge and information related to your studies.
Check out FREE MOCK PAPERS. These help you test your own yourself and help you prepare for your exams in a better way.
This section carries 30 marks. The section includes 3 comprehensions.
- 2 Unseen passages with questions in the form of very short, short, and multiple-choice questions. This section tests the ability to handle comprehension, interpretation, and inference along with vocabulary, which includes word meaning and inference.
- The passages are mostly of 1100-1200 words.
- The weightage is 6MCQs and 16 very short answer type questions, holding 22 marks.
- Factual passages, e.g., instructions, descriptions, reports.
- Descriptive passages include opinions, e.g., argumentative, persuasive, or interpretative text
- Literary passages, like drama, essay, an extract from fiction, poetry, or biography.
- A poem can be of 28-35 lines.
- The passages might be literary or factual to test comprehension
- The length of one passage is between 600-700 words.
- One Short Answer Type Question is of 3 marks
- One Long Answer Type Question is to be answered in 80-100 words, carrying 5 marks
This section is of 30 marks, including writing skills. The section checks the writing skills of the students. You can attempt two out of these given below:
- Advertisement writing
- Notice Writing
- Poster writing
- Formal and informal invitation and reply writing (4 Marks)
- Letter writing - based on verbal/visual input (6 Marks)
- Business or official letters (for making inquiries, registering complaints, asking for and giving information, placing orders, and sending replies)
- Letters to the editor (giving suggestions or opinions on an issue of public interest)
- Application for a job
- Article writing
- Debate writing
- Speech writing
- Report writing - (10x2=20 Marks)
This section holds 40 marks, and questions come from literature books and long reading texts.
Prescribed NCERT Book for Class 12 English paper are as follows-
- The Invisible Man (unabridged) by H.G. Wells
- Silas Marner (unabridged) by George Eliot)
Flamingo – Prose
Lesson 1: The Last Lesson (Alphonse Daudet)
Lesson2: Lost Spring (Anees Jung)
Lesson3: Deep Water (William Douglas)
Lesson 4: The Rattrap (Selma Lagerlof)
Lesson 5: Indigo (Louis Fischer)
Lesson 6: Poets and Pancakes
Lesson 7: The Interview
Lesson 8: Going Places (A. R. Barton)
Flamingo – Poetry
Poem 1: My Mother at Sixty – Six (Kamala Das)
Poem 2: An Elementary School Classroom in a Slum (Stephen Spender)
Poem 3: Keeping Quiet (Pablo Neruda)
Poem 4: A Thing of Beauty (John Keats)
Poem 5: A Roadside Stand
Poem 6: Aunt Jennifer’s Tigers (Adrienne Rich)
Chapter 1: The Third Level (Jack Finney)
Chapter 2. The Tiger King (Kalki)
Chapter 3. Journey to the end of the Earth (Tishani Doshi)
Chapter 4. The Enemy Pearl (S. Buck)
Chapter 5. Should Wizard hit Mommy (John Updike)
Chapter 6. On the face of It (Susan Hill)
Chapter 7. Evans Tries an O-level (Colin Dexter)
Chapter 8. Memories of Childhood (Zitkala-Sa & Bama)
CBSE Class 12 Philosophy Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Sociology Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Legal Studies Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Chemistry Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Economics
CBSE Class 12 Biology Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Physics Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Biotechnology Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Accountancy Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Business Studies Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Geography Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Hindi Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 Political Science Syllabus
CBSE Class 12 History Syllabus
To check the preparation tips for CBSE Class 12 English, click here.
- Flamingo: English Reader published by National Council of Education Research and Training, New Delhi
- Vistas: Supplementary Reader published by National Council of Education Research and Training, New Delhi
Is Class 12 English syllabus reduced?Yes, due to COVID, CBSE has reduced the syllabus of CBSE class 12 English by 30%to manage time for all subjects for the session 2021-22
What is syllabus in English grammar?
Reading Comprehension comprises of how many marks ?
Literature Comprehension comprises of how many marks ?
How can I get full marks in English 12?
- Identify the Name of Lesson.
- Identify the Name of Author/Poet/Dramatist.
- Read the given extract carefully.
- Identify key words/key concept.
- Identify the speaker/character.
- Recall the theme of poem/prose lesson.
How can I study for English exam?
- Understand the content and format of the exam.
- Concentrate on your flaws.
- Make a study schedule (right now!) that works for you.
- With the help of a tutor, you may prepare for your exams faster.
- Increase your vocabularies.
- Keep a daily diary in English.
- Regularly practise speaking.
- Read everything you can.
What is Safalta School Online?
What are the benefits of Safalta School Online?
- Free e-books and Mock test papers
- Preparation materials
- One-to-one interaction with teachers
- Easy to approach teachers when having a query