Aspirants who are confused between SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk, they can refer to this article and know the differences between the two and also understand the benefits of two jobs.SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk Exams are the two most reputed clerical cadre exams conducted in the banking sector in India. SBI Clerk Exam is conducted by the State Bank of India while IBPS Clerk Exam is conducted by the Institute of Banking Personnel Selection. Candidates who are preparing for jobs in the banking sector appear for both of these exams and are often confused about the difference between the two in terms of career growth, responsibilities, salary structure etc and which is the better of the two. In this article, we have explained the difference between SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk in a comprehensive manner to help candidates gain clarity about these exams. If you are preparing for competitive exams and are looking for expert guidance, you can check out our monthly FREE Current Affairs Ebook- Download Now
SBI Clerk vs IBPS Clerk
There are three main clerical cadre exams which are as follows:
- SBI Clerk
- IBPS Clerk
- IBPS RRB Clerk
SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk are the most sought after clerical cadre exams. IBPS conducts IBPS Clerk Exam to recruit candidates to work in 19 public sector banks where State Bank of India conducts SBI Clerk Exam to recruit candidates to work as Junior Associates in SBI. The major differences between SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk along various parameters is as follows.
Also Read: What are some of the tips to crack IBPS Clerk Exam 2021 ?
SBI Clerk vs IBPS Clerk: Roles and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk are more or less the same. A clerk is responsible for performing the following duties in a bank:
- Handling cash transactions: A clerk is responsible for handling all the monetary transactions that take place in a bank whether by Cash, cheque, demand draft or any other method. Clerk has to maintain daily, a weekly and monthly record of all the transactions that take place.
- Single Window Operator: A clerk acts as a single window operator in a bank implying that he/she is responsible for receipt of cheques, drafts, dividend warrants, pay orders and bills etc. Clerk is also responsible for issuing E.S.I. stamps, recounting of currency notes by Cash Department Staff and other functions.
- Clearing and Tranferring Cheques: A clerk is also responsible for all the work related to handling various cheques in a bank.
- Marketing Operations: Clerk is responsible for certain marketing operations as well so increase the cutomers for the bank.
- Updating Passbooks: Clerk provides assistance in updating passbooks of customers such as change of address, contact details etc.
Thus the roles and reponsibilities of SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk are the same.
SBI Clerk vs IBPS Clerk: Salary Structure
Salary is a major factor which candidates take into consideration while selecting any job. Since SBI and IBPS are government bodies, the salary structure in both is nearly the same. However, SBI offers different increments as compared to other public sector banks which IBPS covers. Thus the salary of a SBI Clerk is relatively higher than that of a IBPS Clerk. The salary structure of SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk is as follows:
Explore our list of free courses curated for your benefits click here
||51.2% of Basic Pay
||51.2% of Basic Pay
|City Compensatory Allowance
|House Rent Allowance
||Depends of the location of posting
How To Prepare for SBI Clerk 2021: Tips and Strategy To Clear SBI Clerk 2021
SBI Clerk vs IBPS Clerk: Career Growth
In terms of career growth, the promotion policy in SBI is better than other banks in the country. SBI Clerk has more opportunites in terms of career growth and promotion than IBPS Clerk. The promotion policy and prospects of career growth of SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk are as follows:
- After serving probation period of 6 months, candidates are given the post of Junior Associate/Clerk.
- SBI Clerk can get promotions in two ways- In Cadre Promotion and Officer Cadre Promotion.
- In Cadre Promotion- Promotion is on the basis of years of service. Clerk who has completed 10 years of service will be promoted to the post of Senior Assistant. A person who has completed 20 years of service will be promoted to the post of Special Assistant and after completing 30 years of service, will be promoted to the post of Special Senior Assistant.
- Officer Cadre Promotion- Promotion is on the basis of written exam and interview. Clerk can be promoted to Trainee Officer after 3 years of service and on successfully qualifying the exam. SBI Clerk is eligible to become a Junior Manager Grade Scale Officer after clearing a written test and interview after 6 years of service.
- Candidates have to serve a probation period of 6 months.
- To get promotion, IBPS Clerk has to appear for and qualify a written exam conducted for inter banks. No JAIIB and CAIIB Diploma is required for this. After qualifying this test, clerk is eligible for promotion to the post of trainee officer.
- The other way for a IBPS Clerk to get promotion is based of JAIIB, CAIIB qualification as well as Graduation/Post Graduation. A clerk can be promoted to Trainee Officer/Probationary on the basis of this.
SBI Clerk vs IBPS Clerk: Selection Procedure
The selection procedure of SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk is the same. The selection procedure consists of the following three stages:
- Prelims Exam
- Mains Exam
- Language Proficiency Test
Thus, this is the comparative analysis between SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk. We have seen the major differences between SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk in terms of Salary Structure and Career Growth. Candidates can evaluate the comparison between SBI Clerk and IBPS Clerk and reach on a preference of their own.
If you are preparing for SBI Clerk 2021 Exam and are looking for expert guidance, then Join Now- SBI Clerk- Foundation Batch 2021
SBI Clerk Vs IBPS Clerk - FAQ
Q. What is the basic pay of SBI Clerk?
A. SBI Clerk basic pay is Rs. 1990.
Q. What is SBI Clerk payscale?
A. SBI Clerk payscale is Rs.17900-1000/3-20900-1230/3-24590-1490/4-30550- 1730/7-42600-3270/1-45930-1990/1-47920.
Q. How much does an IBPS Clerk make per month?
A. A IBPS Clerk makes at least Rs 25,000 to Rs 27,000 per month
Q. What is the basic salary of an IBPS Clerk?
A. The basic salary of an IBPS Clerk is Rs.13075.
Q. Which is the minimum pay scale for a Clerk in any Indian bank?
A. The minimum pay scale for a Clerk in any Indian bank is Rs 11765-655/3- 13730-815/3- 16175-980/4- 20095-1145/7- 28110-2120/1- 30230/1310-1- 31540.