Staff Selection Commission
(SSC) is going to conduct Combined Graduate Level
(CGL) Exam for recruitment of candidates in Grade "B" and "C" category for various Government posts in various Departments, Ministries and Offices. This exam is highly competitve and requires a rigorous preparation. There are lakhs of candidates who appear for this exam and considering the number of vacancies and the competition, it is only a few who are able to clear the exam and secure a seat for themselves. Before preparing for this exam it is very important to know the syllabus of the exam and the books that one should refer to while preparing for this exam. Here we have a list of highly recommended books that candidates can refer to while preparing for this exam.
There are four main subjects to study while preparing for SSC CGL, which are as follows:
1. Quantitative Aptitude
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English Language
- General Awareness
2. English Language
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by R.S. Aggarwal
- SSC Mathematics by Rakesh Yadav-This is a very useful book that the candidates can refer to, however this book should be used after you are clear with your basics of the subject.
- Quantum CAT by Sarvesh K Verma-This book should be used to clearly understand the fundamentals of the subject and practice a lot of high level questions.
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis-This is a very important book for candidates preparing for any government exam. This book is extremely good for vocabulary.
- Objective General English by S P Bakshi-The questions given in this book are extremely beneficial for candidates to practice.
- SSC English by Ajay Singh-This book should be referred to once you are thorough with the basics of the subject. It contains lots of questions along with the previous year questions of SSC CGL exam. Candidates should necessarily refer to this book.
4. General Awareness
- A Modern Approach to Verbal and Non Verbal Reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal-The questions in this book are very useful. They are framed keeping the competitive exams in mind. This is one of the most referred books for SSC CGL.
- Perfect Verbal Reasoning by Ajay Chauhan-This books contains a lot of questions along with explanations for the same. Candidates can also refer to this book for preparing for this section.
- Analytical Reasonig by M.K. Pandey-This is also a very good book to prepare for reasoning. It contains a lot of questions and candidates can practice those from here.
- Lucent General Knowledge-This book is a must for candidates preparing for any competitive exams. Candidates should read this book and keep revising it.
- NCERTs-After going through the past year papers, candidates should refer to the NCERTs for learning the basics.
- Newspaper-Candidates should read the newspaper on a daily basis to remain abreast with the current affairs.